Monday, April 26, 2010

Fort Knox |Design Work|

Click to see this image larger
Fort Knox Proposal Cover
My writings have been pretty photo-centric lately, so it's probably a good time to share some recent design work.

A couple times a month, the Acquisitions and Retention Department (client relations) requests cover design samples from the Production Department for inclusion in proposals for either renewing contracts or obtaining new ones. Essentially it's our time to shine and show what we can do to impress potential clients.

When these request come into production, they're assigned based on who has the most time to work on them. Generally, that's not me, but when the Fort Knox request came in I had just completed a project and was awaiting my next assignment. Unfortunately, the project I had just complete was our last contracted guide for, you guessed it, Fort Knox. That means I had just designed the book and four covers already. Since no new images are provided along with the request for the Proposal Covers, I really had to dig deep for some ideas.

On this version, I was able to combine my photography and graphic design skills. I had recently been out photographing in downtown San Diego and took some photos of concrete walls with the idea of using those textures in some of my designs. The concrete texture goes well with the strength conveyed by the military and was particularly appropriate for the Army as they use a distressed look with the majority of their branding.

The requests that come from A&R are for three covers, of which two will be included in the Proposal to the base. This design was easily my favorite from the group but was ultimately the one left out of the Proposal. It's a little disheartening when you're favorite isn't picked, but luckily I have my nice little corner of the web here to share it so it's not lost forever.