Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Off Roading: Kia Style

My Kia Spectra at the Sand Canyon South trail head.
Following breakfast and a quick photo walk around the property on my first morning at Kelly Place, I hopped into my car and made my way over to the Sand Canyon South trail head for a morning of hiking.

The trail head is less than a mile up the road from Kelly Place and so close that I drove right past it as I wasn't expecting it so soon. In fact, I was looking at some interesting butte formations on the opposite side of the road, wondering if there we ruins over there as well. It appeared to be private land on that side of the road, but in all honesty, it would be somewhat hard to believe that there wasn't something ancient over there. The whole Four Corners area is so loaded with Ancestral Puebloan ruins (as well as those from other cultures) that I've heard "you can't throw a stone in any direction without hitting something." Often times it may be a small relatively uninteresting structure, but they are everywhere!

After a slight detour up the road and back, I arrived at the Sand Canyon trail head and while this photo insinuates a rough ride in, this parking area is right off the main road. At most, my little Kia only had to survive about 20 feet of driving on solid bedrock to arrive at this location.

The Sand Canyon Trail is part of Canyon of the Ancients National Monument, one of the country's newest National Parks, which was designated to preserve and protect the highest concentration of archaeological sites in the United States. Over 6,000 distinct structures have been identified within the 164,000 acres of the monument and Sand Canyon contains a number of well preserved cliff dwellings. Spurs in the trail take you right to the base of a handful of these dwellings and many others can be seen in alcoves on the other, inaccessible, side of the canyon.

Images of the dwellings to come shortly...