Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Foggy Morning Trail

A foggy morning along the trail around Lake Hodges
Time to take a quick break from our normally scheduled Ruins photos (if you're digging them, don't fret, there are plenty more to come! If you're not, hopefully this one will get you through the home stretch of them!) to share a more recent image.

On the eve of Superbowl Sunday, I looked up the forecast for the next morning's sunrise and was excited to see what looked like perfect conditions. I charged my batteries, gathered my gear and set my alarm for 5 a.m. I made it out the door by 5:15 Sunday morning and was instantly excited by the possibilities. Not only were there a few clouds in the sky, but there was some lingering fog. I couldn't wait to get to the lake and watch the sunrise above with a low hanging fog surrounding the lake.

I got to the lake almost an hour before sunrise and found it completely shrouded. Trees just 20 feet away disappeared into the thick fog. Forget sunrise, I was just hoping I be able to see someone approaching me! (The lake is pretty secluded at that time of the morning and with the fog I felt like I was smack dab in the middle of a horror movie, so I was a little jumpy.)

I stayed in my "sunrise" spot for a while capturing some very moody, very foggy images and was about ready to head home when I saw this trail. I've walked this trail a number of times but never found it all that interesting but, since I was there and only planning on taking a nap when I got home, I decided to see if the fog made it more interesting.

As soon as I got to this spot, I knew this would be the shot of the day! Good thing I decided to check it out before heading home.


A friend and fellow photographer had rough plans of meeting up at the lake that morning (I wasn't sure if the alarm would wake me up, so I gave him a general idea of where I would be IF I did wake up) but due to the heavy fog, Shimon wasn't sure were to find me. Instead of staying in the fog, he ventured up the hill behind me and took this photo of the sunrise above the fog. I'm somewhere near the bottom left hand corner of his image, but it's a little hard to see me with all the fog. I would say it was a very successful day for both of us!