Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Sunset in Black and White

La Jolla Cove Sunset
Here's another photograph from the sunset on June 21st down at La Jolla Cove. I'm really milking this particular sunset for all it was worth. But with good reason.

This particular night was the best sunset I saw during the week and a half I was out trying to fill my memory cards with worthwhile images and when you find the right conditions, you've just got to go for it. Fill those memory cards and really take advantage of the good light when you've got it.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this image called out to me for a black and white treatment. As I experiment more with the black and white medium, I suspect I'll have a better idea of what would and wouldn't look good in monochrome, but at the moment all I can really admit to is that I tried it, and I liked it!

And for the curious folks out there, I'm sorry I really don't know what the ridge that starts in the lower left corner is. I've inspected it a number of times and always left empty handed (minded?). In person, it appears that someone long ago embedded a metal pipe into the sandstone and left it to corrode in the salt water but I can't find an opening at either end that would indicate it truly is a long forgotten pipe. It's definitely of a different composition than the surrounding rock and has attracted a multitude of mollusks to it but beyond that I just don't know. It's probably for the best that I don't know. The continuing mystery will keep me coming back for more and hopefully that will mean some more evenings like this one!