Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pastel Beach

After sunset at Torrey Pines State Beach
It's been just over a month since my last update and I promised back in May I that these types of lapses wouldn't happen, so I apologize! It has been a busy summer to say the least and we've had less than stellar weather for photography. San Diego's marine layer has persisted far deeper into the summer months than it normally does, more or less erasing any chance of sunrise and sunset (when the light for landscapes is at it's absolute best).

Towards the end of last week I started seeing far more clear sky in the evenings and checked Friday's forecast. The cloud cover was predicted to be about 8% at the coast and, with a high tide near sunset, I couldn't resist the call of the surf anymore. After work Friday I grabbed my camera and set out for Torrey Pines State Beach. You may remember this image, also taken at Torrey Pines State Beach, but at low tide.

When I arrived, I found total cloud cover. Absolute, 100%, not an inch of open sky overhead cloud cover. I had to fight the urge to turn right around and head home, but I convinced myself that getting some sand between my toes and going for a walk on the beach with my camera bag & tripod could count my exercise for the week. I hiked to the far end of the beach and was rewarded for my troubles with this scene on my walk back.

With the heavy cloud cover moving off to sea as if it was following the sun (it can be seen above the horizon on the left side of the image), the sky took on a pinkish glow which was reflected by the wet sand as the waves receded. I had to scramble to find an interesting foreground subject as most of the rocks in the area were underwater with the high tide. When I came across this rock, with the wet sand sweeping over top of it I had just a few moments to capture the scene before the glow in the sky faded.

Sometimes you just have to stick it out and get your toes in the sand...